CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

03 May 2009

Le weekend j'ai vécu sur le metro

Pour Samedi et Dimanche, je n'ai pas pris beaucoup de photos et la majorité de mes photos sont du metro. :(

Saturday and Sunday were... interesting. Friday night while at the fair (la foire) I was invited by the YSA's and some others, to play soccer. Of course after hearing this, I went crazy with excitement and anxiety. I didn't think that I'd get to play soccer while here. The boys were surprised that I would want to and they said that I'd be the only one, nonetheless I got directions and promised to meet them at the metro stop called Noisiel sur RER A at 11:00 am. Anxious to go, I woke up at 8:20 the next morning and got ready. Jamie (she wanted to come along for kicks) and I left the house at like 9:45. After looking at the metro map the night before, we decided that an hour would be more than sufficient for getting across Paris to Noisiel because we were going on the fast train. Turns out that even the fast train isn't fast enough for our expectations. We didn't arrive at the Noisiel station till 11:30. I searched high and low for the boys but found none of them. I thought for sure that at least one of them would be late. At 11:40 we decided that we had missed them and tried to leave the station to find the field. As I tried to leave I heard that "enh" noise again and was restrained. I was so so so confused. It took me a minute to remember that my carte orange doesn't have unlimited access. I looked at a map and Yes, I was ONE stop out of district four. I looked out all the windows and decided that I wouldn't be able to find them anyways. I descended the other stairs and took the next metro back to my house. C'est la vie.

Apres que j'ai retourné I studied and changed out of my soccer clothes (which were kind of embarrassing to wear on the metro in the first place), but I didn't have much turn around time because I was supposed to meet two other girls from Croissy sur Seine and go to the market with them. I got to the metro stop where I was supposed to meet them at 2 minutes till. I waited on a park bench outside the sortie and they never came. Eventually I used my card and searched all inside for them. I waited until 3:35 to leave and finally gave up. The metro really let me down on Saturday. I went to the market anyways. Jamie and I bought a hair dryer (sechoire) and some things for lunch. I got a baguette with tomato paste/ragu stuff just like Kate always said. I also got some weird chips cause I just had to try them. They're called Poulet Braisé meaning Braised chicken. They kind of remind me of Willa Wonka's 3 meal gum because I really felt like I was eating crunchy chicken when I ate them. :) Oh and guess what? The 3 foot long baguette that I bought was only .45 E! Aren't baguettes like 5 bucks in the US?

We returned to the house, ate our food, did more homework, watched Amelie and got to bed early. It was the first Saturday that I've done that in... a long time.

Sunday we had our first day of church at the Versaille ward (paroisse). Our professor had no idea when it started and guessed that it started at 9. I didn't like being so unsure so I checked online. The LDS website said "our worship service starts at 11:20) so I told Jamie and we planned on leaving our place at 9:30 so we'd have plenty of time, even if we got lost. WELL we didn't get lost. We took all the directions of our instructor and arrived at approximately 12:20. Turns out that the "worship service" only referred to sacrament meeting which was the last meeting for them. We got to hear the last 2 testimonies and we sang the hymn with them tout en sitting in the foyer. It was so so so disappointing. Once again the metro had failed us and it had taken over two hours to get to church! That's what happens when you have to take 3 different metros and a bus! We won't let it happen again. The sister missionaries gave us some tips for the faster metros.

AND they had a ward break the fast in the gym so we still got to meet everyone and talk to them. We probably stayed for 2 hours after church just socializing- it was good to see other humans. :) It was especially great to play with the little french children. Seeing as there aren't very many little kids here, it was great to see them and speak french with them. I got to know two girls pretty well; a girl named Gladys and her little sister. Her little sister was probably 3 years old and I had no idea what she was saying all the time so I never figured out her name but she was sweet to me. We were drawing on a chalk board and I wrote some words on it. She pointed to one and said "What does that say?" (in french of course) and I said- it says I love you! and she said- Awww.. Je t'aime aussi! -and went back to drawing like it was nothing.


One of the girls- Becky -told us that a bunch of people were meeting at the institute to do something later. We showed up at the Institute 20 minutes late but luckily they were still there. (gah! those metros!)

Saint Eustaches
Looking the other way
Fred, Maggie, Becky, Jamie, Ryan, me, Landon (Fred and Ryan's Host Brother), Kylie, the Professor went to the church of Saint Eustache for an Organ Concert tonight! It was absolutely beautiful! I thought I would be bored out of my mind, but I really found it quite fascinating and I couldn't get enough of the building and its construction. It was funny though, I looked over during the concert and saw that 5 out of the 9 people who came were asleep on their laps. Only Fred, Moi, Becky, and the Professor stayed awake and it was only a half hour long!

A really weird painting that didn't match anything else in the cathedral

Everyone sleeping- note Jamie sleeps sitting up (she is closest to the camera) and Kylie just sat up from her "sieste" :)

OH I forgot! There was this lady sitting in front of me wearing the most hideous shirt/chemise EVER. seriously.. i had to turn off my flash and take a picture for this one, but she was right in front of me so it was hard to get a good picture without her or her husband seeing me.
The base of this shirt could be pretty, but then there are multi-colored crocheted (sp?) sleeves and there was a fur collar and base of the shirt. It was rockin'.

We ate dinner with the Madame tonight and she made us pommes de terre again with some sort of meat patty thing on top of it. We also had a salade and a huge strawberry tarte: lots of strawberries in some form of jam on a crispy flaky crust (the crust was more like a croissant than pie crust). Mmmhhmm

2 comments:

Nelson said...

I miss you Lindy. :( Be safe. :)

Katy said...

I'm sorry the metro let you down :( The thing that I don't understand is how people in New York and Paris go from place to place to place all day. It takes so long sometimes to use public transportation!!

So Genny and I would try very hard to do things in the same area. This reduces reliance on the metro and allows you to walk through Paris more (love!). At the end of the day though doesn't it feel great to know the metro and be able to get where you want?

Tomato paste and cheese...portable and yummy. I got to the point though where all I wanted was Boursin (or the knock of brands) and a baguette. Mmmm.

Have so much fun!! Love you.